Guys, as I read this article, I cringe a bit about how much Hannah has grown since I wrote this. She’s now 13. She’s no longer a little toddler girl, she’s a beautiful young lady!
I’m paying much more attention to the father/daughter relationship and can recommend a few great resources for you….
Dad, Here’s What I Really Need from You: A Guide for Connecting with Your Daughter’s Heart by Michelle Watson
Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know by Meg Meeker, M. D.
Be the Dad She Needs You to Be: The Indelible Imprint a Father Leaves on His Daughter’s Life by Kevin Leman
The Dad Whisperer Podcast: A weekly podcast for fathers of daughters.
And, I would simply add this… Dad, she craves your time and attention.
You must pursue her heart before someone else does. It’s ok to tell her that you loved her first (before any other guy) and Jesus loves her most.
Make sure you spend some time on Daddy/Daughter dates…
- Shopping – Yes, go shopping with her
- Ice Cream – Take her out for a treat
- Painting Pottery – It’s more fun than you think! (I know!)
- Shopping – Go shopping for shoes, you’ll get quite an education!
- Watch a Hallmark Movie (I struggle with these… too many horses and no real cowboys, but I digress…)
- Read the Bible with her – Does she know you love the Word?
- Talk about her future… potentially as a wife and mother
- Eat something that she cooks and like it!
- Shopping – go with her to pick out a birthday gift for a friend… you’ll learn a lot
- Take her fishing – Hint: It’s not about the fishing…
- Manhood in the Media Spotlight – Men Engaging in the Abortion Issue [Podcast Ep. 116] - November 30, 2023
- Manhood in the Media Spotlight – Men and Marriage [Podcast Ep. 115] - November 22, 2023
- What Does it Mean to Have a God-Sized Goal? - November 22, 2023