“Who you work for is more important than what you do.”
This week, Mike unpacks some critical questions about work with Sebastian Traeger. Sebastian is married to Nikki, a father of four, an entrepreneur, Kingdom operative, and the author of The Gospel At Work: How Working for King Jesus Gives Purpose and Meaning to Our Jobs.
Check out last week’s 1 Quick Question survey results for a list of listeners’ first jobs… mowing grass, delivering papers, washing dishes, pumping gas, McDonalds, bagging groceries, farm helper, construction laborer, janitor, family business…
Fathering is my favorite job…
- A beach mission trip became a greenhouse experience to grow my faith. Being around a group of people who were passionate about the Lord and life made a difference for me.
- Who you work for is more important than what you do. – This one idea should shape your work and life.
- All my work is unto the King! What I’m doing is much less important than who I’m working for.
- You can start teaching your children a very practical theology of work early on. Part of what it means to be made in God’s image is to actually work. The default is not sitting on a couch playing on an iPad.
- Our work can consume us and become an idol for us or we can retreat from it and become idle.
- Christians are not called to live balanced lives. We are called to live sold out lives. We’re to live life sold out for King Jesus. This is our primary assignment. All other assignments God gives us are ways for us to live out the primary assignment.
- God is the one who gives us our assignments. I don’t understand why God gives some the assignment of being unemployed or underemployed or struggling business owner. I don’t understand why some are given the assignment of a perfect fit job or flourishing business. But, God is the one who gives those assignments, for His purposes.
- What does it mean or look like to be faithful to God as an unemployed person?
- Work hard. Work smart. Trust God.
- Hard work and smart work don’t always equal success. God controls the outcomes.
- The Gospel At Work: How Working for King Jesus Gives Purpose and Meaning to Our Jobs by Sebastian Traeger and Greg D. Gilbert
- The Gospel at Work Study Guide
- Barna Study – Five Essentials to Engage Today’s Men
- Winning at Work and Home – Men’s Fraternity Classic
- A Man and His Work – Authentic Manhood 33:The Series
- Taking God to Work: The Keys to Ultimate Success by Steve Reynolds and David L. Winters
Join us next week for Episode 21 – The Noble Man Lives a Balanced Life