“When David’s time to die drew near, he commanded Solomon his son, saying, ‘I am about to go the way of all the earth. Be strong, and show yourself a man.’” 1 Kings 2:2
What does it mean to show yourself a man? Manhood is confused and corrupted in our culture and our time. Many young men (and young women) are uncertain about what manhood is and are fearful to explore the topic because of the stigma of toxic masculinity.
In Episode 45, we talk with 4 Gen Z young men to wrestle with what manhood is and what these young men are looking for. Their discussion is an encouragement and a challenge for men to form more intergenerational bonds. Even as they study the Word together, they are open and hungry to engage with more experienced men and to learn from their victories and their mistakes. They express a desire to learn from the older man what he wishes he knew when he was younger.
They also share advice for young fathers from the perspective of what has meant a lot to them or what they wish they had.
- Invest early and often.
- Guide and provide wisdom from your past experience – things you messed up or things you have done well.
- Cultivate an environment of trust, and provide a safe space to lean into you for understanding and love.
Talking about manhood is one of the best evangelical hooks of our time.
Society’s understanding of manhood is often warped and counter to what Christ shows us. Even with the true biblical definition of manhood, we cannot do it in our own strength. We need to lean into Jesus for his guidance and lean into other men who are pursuing Christ and who will point you back to Jesus and the Word when things get rough.
“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.” John 10:10
“Living out biblical manhood is part of the abundant life.”
- Manhood in the Media Spotlight – Men Engaging in the Abortion Issue [Podcast Ep. 116] - November 30, 2023
- Manhood in the Media Spotlight – Men and Marriage [Podcast Ep. 115] - November 22, 2023
- What Does it Mean to Have a God-Sized Goal? - November 22, 2023