Generally, the Mother’s Day praise gets heaped on Mary (how could you not give the mother of Jesus a Mom of the Year award?) or the wife/mother in Proverbs 31 (I’ve learned that many ladies struggle with this prototype… she’s just too perfect!) But I want to shine some light on a mother in the Bible with an obscure name but legendary faith. Let’s consider Jochebed, the mother of Moses.
Here’s what’s written about her in Hebrews 11, the Faith Hall of Fame…
By faith Moses, when he was born, was hidden for three months by his parents, because they saw that the child was beautiful, and they were not afraid of the king’s edict. Hebrews 11:23
We find her story in Exodus 2.
- She hid him for 3 months in violation of the king’s decree
- She waterproofed a basket made of bulrushes
- She floated the basket full of baby in the Nile
- She waited
- She was called by her daughter to care for and nurse her own baby who was adopted and named by pharaoh’s daughter
- She was paid ‘her wages’ to care for her son
- She returned him to Pharaoh’s daughter
I’m taken by how many times and ways Jochebed had to ‘release’ her son, by faith, into the hands of an all knowing, all powerful God. What courage! That released son, became a powerful man of God.
Jochebed loved by releasing.
Here’s just part of what happened…
- It was her son who God called from the burning bush
- It was her son who became the God’s spokesman to Pharaoh, calling for the release of the children of Israel from Egypt’s grip
- It was her son who received the ten commandments and brought God’s law to the people
- It was her son to whom God spoke face to face, as a man speaks to his friend
- It was her son whom God himself buried (Deuteronomy 34:5-7)
I don’t know anything at all about mothering firsthand. However, I’m thankful for the times and ways my mother released me and trusted God. I’m also thankful for the tears that Stacy has cried as she has ‘released’ our kids to various adventures and challenges in their years.
Moms, thank you for loving by releasing.
- Manhood in the Media Spotlight – Men Engaging in the Abortion Issue [Podcast Ep. 116] - November 30, 2023
- Manhood in the Media Spotlight – Men and Marriage [Podcast Ep. 115] - November 22, 2023
- What Does it Mean to Have a God-Sized Goal? - November 22, 2023